Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Efterårsferien (Autumn Break)

Good news... Autumn break was everything I thought it would be plus a little more :) It was relaxing on some days, and other days I was so busy I'm surprised I even had time to breathe! To inform you of my whereabouts of the past week, I think I'll give you some of the highlights:

  • After school on Friday I had been planning on going to my friend Sarah's house for the night. My host mom was out with a friend, so I decided to take the bus. If you know me I'm always late.. and I mean ALWAYS. So of course, I miss the bus to the city. I'm sitting there, waiting for the next bus when an elderly couple comes over to me and they start talking to me in Danish. I kindly told them that I don't speak Danish that well, so they were then very interested in where I come from and blah blah blah. Long story short, I ended up having a 20 minute conversation with a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses about how Alaska is most certainly NOT Canada and is in fact part of the United States. The were perfectly nice people (although they should have probably brushed up on their geopgraphy skills) and I can honestly say it was the first time I've ever had a conversation with a Jehovah's Witness.. It just shows you who you can meet on the bus! Anyway, I ended up having a great time at my friend Sarah's house, who is just awesome :) She has been so great to me since I've came here, and I am really grateful for our friendship
  • On Saturday I went to a class get together. Because I'm a first year, we have to pick our career paths so that we can have specific classes after autumn break. Some of my classmates are changes classes, so it was a great way to celebrate being together.
  • relaxing days in my pajamas watching Gossip Girl
  •  I went to Århus for the day with some of my host family's friends that were staying with us. We window shopped, and went out to a Cafe. Tuesday night we all traveled to Copenhagen for the big adventure, which took 4 hours actually.
  •  My host mom and I stayed together in her company's apartment in Copenhagen. My host dad was at work, my host sister was in Dubai with her shool, and my host brother was in Turkey with his school as well. So it was just the two of us. Wednesday was a great day. We went site seeing all over Copenhagen. I got to see the Rosenberg Castle, the Royal Family's Crown Jewels, King's Garden, the parliment, the Danish stalk market Building, the Queen's Castle and I got to go on a Canal tour... And I was lucky enough to be accompanied by my friend Andrew who is an exchange student from the U.S who met up with us in Copenhagen.
  • I got to fly in the cockpit to Switzerland which was AMAZING! I got my own headset, so I could hear other pilots and the control towers. It was a very clear day so I got to see the Alps when we were coming into Switzerland.
  • I went to one of the oldest amusement parks called Tivoli, which was so much fun
  • On one of the last days of break , I got to spend the night with my third host parents, who made a lovely dinner for me and then watched Slumdog Millionaire with me. It was a fantastic night :)



That pretty much sums up my week :) I posted some pictures... In order they are: The Rosenberg Castle, the Crown Jewels, a room in the Rosenberg Castle, the Crown, parliment building, and an old ship from the Canal tour. Enjoy!









 
 
 

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment