Friday, September 13, 2013

1 Month Down..



En måned i Danmark! Jeg er så glad være her. Jeg elsker at her.
- One month in Denmark! I am so happy to be here, I love it here

I've been here for one month.... I can't believe it. It feels just like yesterday I was walking off the plane in Billund, Denmark, unsure of absolutley everything. Now I just have to laugh at myself for all the funny/embarrassing moments that have happened in the past month. Here's some examples:

  •  When I first arrived here, I would say "Tak for mad" after everything because I was under the impression that it was a very polite way of saying thank you. A couple weeks later I realized that "mad" meant food, so I had been saying "thanks for food" when my host dad would drop me off at school, when my teachers would give me papers, etc... Now I know that they weren't laughing at what I thought was my cute American accent that became very pronounced when I politely said thank you, they were laughing at the invisible food I was apparently thanking them for.
  • I didn't know that you had to press the stop button on the bus if you wanted to get off, I just thought the bus driver would stop at every stop. After a couple weeks of having to walk a few miles more than I needed to, I realized that the red button labeled STOP wasn't just there for emergencies.
  • Everywhere I go, people think I'm Danish (it could be the blonde hair, but it may also be the thousands of clothes I've bought in the short amount of time I've been here) so they speak to me In Danish and I just look at them like a lost puppy...
  • The first weekend I was here my host family took me to Djurs Sommerland, which is an amusement park in Århus. When I walked into the bathroom I got really embarrassed because there were men everywhere. I thought I had walked into the wrong bathroom, so I asked the person next to me if this was the ladies room and he looked at me like I was crazy. Apparently same sex bathrooms are the norm in Europe, but how was I supposed to know that?
  • I'm not even going to count how many times I've gotten lost...
  • Or missed the bus...
  • Everytime I speak Danish, I feel like I have a potato in my mouth.. It's a really awkward language, so therefore it has led to countless embarrassing moments when I say something in Danish and people have NO clue what I'm trying to tell them.
I could go on for days about all the funny things I've done here, but I'll just leave it at a few of the best ones. My point in this post is that even though I have never felt so uncomfortable, awkward, embarrassed, crazy, and just straight up weird ever, I wouldn't trade this month of my life for anything in the entire world. I love it here in Denmark, and I can see myself changing (for the better!) every second that I'm here. I can't wait for the next ten months! If they go by as fast as this month did then I will be home before I know it.. And I can't even bare to think about leaving this amazing place yet. There's still so much to do! I haven't seen even a quarter of the things I want to see yet. Today I am thankful for everyone I've met, everything I've done, and everything I will do. Much love, Denmark. xoxo

To the people who read my blog:

Vi ses næste uge!
 -See you next week!

1 comment:

  1. Mari! I am loving your blog, chica! Keep writing and enjoying your time in Denmark!
    Love you mar :)
    -Jordan!

    ReplyDelete