Thursday, January 23, 2014

Oh, Nostalgia..

hej igen,


This last week was officially my 5 months in Denmark.. that means that half of my exchange is over. How can this be? It seems just like yesterday I was finding out my country…


I think this is rather fitting to talk about because the new outbound exchange students from my district back home are getting ready to find out their countries for this next year. Looking back, I feel so much different than I used to be.

I remember sitting in my polka dot dress, nervously twisting the ring on my finger wondering where I could possibly end up in the year 2014. Well, here I am in the glorious country that is Denmark, and I can honestly tell you I never want to leave. Personally,  I know I have changed. I believe I have become more openminded and adventurous, and of course more independent. Where would I be without Denmark? I could well possibly be back in Palmer, Alaska, doing the same old things I've always done; the only difference being that I would be just a little older.

But instead, I am speaking a language I had actually never heard spoken until a year ago. I wouldn't be riding trains, traveling to different countries like Sweden and Germany with 3 families that will now always be a  part of my heart. It is incredible to me how fast these 5 months have gone by… I have already made life long friends, been through my fair share of struggles and funny adventures, and there is still 6 months to do more. For now I guess I'll just have to take it day by day, savoring each moment to its' fullest extent.

I guess it is really true that going on exchange is not a year in your life, but a life in a year. I firmly believe this now, and I will cherish all the amazing times of my exchange with every part of myself.

Enough of all this nostalgia; it's only January! Now I would like to tell you a little about my plans for my remaining months in Denmark.

My friend Sarah (yes, I think I've written about her before) have made a list of things we want to do together before I leave. They are just typical things; like watching certain movies, taking a beach trip in the summer, etc., but I know they will be special because they will be spent with someone who I fully believe is my long lost sister :).

Along with the list, I will be taking a series of lovely trips around Europe! For instance, I will be going on a trip to Spain on my birthday (April 23rd for those of you who don't know) for 4 days with my Spanish class from school. I am really excited! I have wanted to go to Spain for sometime because of it's rich, exotic culture, which makes it seem extremely appealing. Plus, it makes it that much better because it will be on my birthday :)


I will also be going on EuroTour with my Rotary district in Denmark on May 23rd. I believe there will be about 40 exchange students participating, and we will take a bus for 3 weeks all throughout Europe. I know for a fact that this will be one of the most amazing experiences of my life because we are traveling to not only some of the biggest cities in Europe, but the smaller ones as well. I think this is very important because there is often just as much history and culture in the small cities as the big cities, but you could never know that until you visit them. I have included a map of the route we are taking so you can see where we will be visiting.

EuroTour and my trip to Spain aren't for another 4 months or so, so until then I will continue to live happily and blissfully in Denmark :) Until next time!

xoxo fra Danmark

No comments:

Post a Comment