Friday, November 29, 2013

Living in a Fairytale

Hello world,

It seems as though my presence has been missed... I have received numerous requests to update my blog so here it is:


Last time I left you with the impression that things were really starting to get good for me. And I am happy to report that that is still VERY much true! It is still so surprising to me how fast this year is going. I see the months change in color; green to yellow, Orange to deep crimson red and now recently a misty frost that leaves me with the feeling that I am in some enchanted fairytale. I think Denmark has a kind of quality that leaves you feeling like you live among make believe creatures.. it must be the gigantic ancient castles and churches. Or possibly the Viking ruins that litter family farms in the country side. Whatever  it is, I have decided that this place is magical, and I am now finding it completely possible to fall in love with a country and its people.

I promised to tell you all about my trip to Sweden... no worries! It was fun. It was a weekend trip; short and sweet. We stayed at my host uncle's house. I have  a few major details about Sweden that I will never forget. For starters, you have to take the ferry from Denmark to Sweden, and to my surprise there really isn't any specific law about gambling.. So if you walk into the gambling area, you can find ten year olds playing on the slot machines. Also, Swedish is a very beautiful language. It's alot like Danish, and the Danes can actually understand Swedish pretty well. But when they speak it's almost like they are singing... Whereas Danish just sounds like you have a potatoe in your mouth and your choking. Anyway, Sweden was lovely and I'm glad I got to experience it.

Another major thing that has happened to me recently is that I switched host families. It was very strange knowing that I would have to start complelty over again; new people, habits & routines, and a new room. It was also a little unnerving knowing I would never live with my first host family again.. I hope they get the chance to read this, because they were so amazing to me. I was blessed to get to know the Pedersen family; they are so kind and they made me feel right at home from the moment I came to Denmark. I miss them, but my new family is equally grand. I'm all settled into my new room as of now, and I LOVE it! But just FYI: having to pack up an entire room is a miserable task. I came to Denmark with two suitcases, and I left my first host family with three times that much.. I don't know how I'll get it all home!








To end this post, I thought I'd tell you about the article I was in for a magazine I. My town in Denmark. A journalist called me a few weeks ago and asked if she could interview me for a spread they were doing for Christmas. She wanted me to make my favorite Christmas dish and tell her about my Christmas traditions from Alaska. I thought it would be a small article and in one of those cheap magazines that you can find next to the flyers at the grocery store. But to my surprise, it was a ful page article with a fairly large size picture of me in the middle. She even included the story I told her about how my first time on the bus here in Denmark was a big ordeal for me (I've written about it in a previous post). And because of the article, all my classmates and friends from school have been messaging and calling me saying "Hey! You're in the magazine!" It's amazing what one magazine can do in a small town like Silkeborg, and I'm so thankful I get to be a part of it!




No comments:

Post a Comment